[Journal] Question on Poland Annual Report

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Nov 30 21:48:36 EST 2011

Landon,

> I'm working on the narrative version of the Poland Chapter Report. The
> report that was submitted contains this statement: "help with the
> promotion of FOSS4g at the universities by the definition of master
> and engineering degrees."

I don't fully understand this either.  Without context I would
understand this as, "Promoted FOSS4G by helping define curriculum
criteria for masters and engineering degrees at universities to
include FOSS4G."

Here is an attempt at rephrasing, "The Chapter promoted FOSS4G in
academia.  This was accomplished by contributing to the curriculum
requirements for masters and engineering degrees to include FOSS4G."

Or in first person, " We helped promote FOSS4G in academia.  We
accomplished this by contributing to the modification of curriculum
requirements to include FOSS4G for masters and engineering degrees."

> Does this mean the chapter would like to promote new degrees at the
> universities in GIS or with an open source GIS focus?

I clearly read it differently than you did.  I can also see your
interpretation, the creation of new degrees focusing on GIS and/or
FOSS4G.

> I want to make sure I accurately convey the meaning in my narrative
> version of the report.

This is one of my biggest concerns and hesitations when editing the
journal.  I don't want to change the meaning, however, I also want to
make the journal articulate and grammatical.  I would be more
comfortable editing if there were more dialog and access to the
original authors.

HTH, Eli