[Journal] FOSS4G 2011 Special Edition

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Sep 27 19:25:57 EDT 2011

What's your sense on this Michael?  Is the board prepared
to financial support the Journal?  In the past it was seen as
out-of-scope for my position so it's production slowed down
significantly.  So far the Journal hasn't actually reported to
the board, as it's not an official recognised committee and
never had a budget.

Everyone else... if we did want to, collectively,
move forward with it to generate funds that could help
raise the profile of OSGeo, GFOSS researchers and more in
our community, then we should come up with a plan to present
to the board.  e.g. what is the goal, how will it be implemented,
who will be in charge of it, how will it be used?

If there is little interest from the board (has been minimal in
past at least), yet sustained interest from those on this list
and those helping with publication, then I'd consider
taking it outside of OSGeo and producing a professional
journal addressing the same issues.  But I doubt I'd do that
if it at all threatened the volunteer spirit of this team.  Same
as if we raise funds for any reason - if volunteers thought it
was then no worth their time, I'd respect that.  Of course, I
haven't only worked on this during work hours, but much of
it I have, so I've already been working on so far :)

Not trying to find money to keep me afloat, but really don't
want this great effort to die due to lack of trying.

Thoughts?