[Journal] Board Support and Proposed Plan for the Journal Moving Forward

Daniel P. Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Tue Feb 7 13:23:40 EST 2012

Hey Landon,

I like your idea of two issues per year, one focused on the annual report,
and one focused on technical and scientific papers.

One option for the technical/scientific papers that I think would work
really well would be to invite proposals for "thematic issues". The problem
we have is that "open source GIS" invites such a huge spectrum of
possibilities for technical/scientific papers, that it may be hard for
people to recognize the optimal content to submit.

So the idea here is that someone proposes a thematic issue on a specific
topic, say for example, "Terrain Analysis" or "Uncertainty Analysis" or
"Decision Support Systems" or "Digital Literature" or "Improvements in
Geodatabases". The person who proposes the thematic issue becomes a guest
editor for this Thematic Issue and is responsible to send out a call for
papers, coordinate reviews, and ultimately select papers to include in the
thematic issue.

If we take this approach, then I think that these thematic issues will
become very exciting and will get a lot of visibility because each one will
cover the latest science/technology in a particular area of GIS. This will
help researchers who are working on that topic, because they can grab the
one issue on the topic of interest and get lots of great papers out of it.

Anyway, this is my proposal. If you like it then, I'd be happy to work with
you or others to implement this plan...

- Dan

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences