[Journal] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Journal Volume 9

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Feb 29 02:34:43 EST 2012

Landon and everyone else,

      Great work.  I'm looking forward to working on the 2011 report.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Landon Blake
<sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the publication of OSGeo Volume 9, which is
> the Annual Report for 2010. For the short term, you can download the
> PDF from the SVN:

> Please forward me any review comments or corrections you have. Please
> also accept my apologies for the huge delay in putting this volume
> together. We've already started work on the Annual Report for 2011,
> which I hope to have published towards the end of March.

I think that once it is 'published' then we are done with review and
corrections and it is time to stand behind it even if there are
mistakes.  In my opinion, changing a journal once it is 'published'
requires a retraction and would only be done in drastic circumstances.
 Also, having a stopping point is needed otherwise it can go on
forever.  What are others' thoughts?  If we do take 'publication' as
the stopping point, then I would ask, what constitutes 'published'?
Announced on Discuss?  Posted link on Journal website?  Putting out an
OSGeo News/Announce item?  (With printed journals, paper and printing
expenses make 'published' very obvious. We develop openly in
subversion making it less obvious.)

Bests, Eli