[North America] Re: [Northamerica] North America Region Chapter motion to OSGeo BOD

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Mon Nov 14 12:06:21 EST 2011

On 11.11.2011 18:31, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On 11-11-10 03:17 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>> Some see this effort as being exclusively focused on DOD or US-specific
>> interests.  I don't think that's Mark's intent though.  It's just worth
>> confirming on this list.  I think the wiki page is general enough
>> already in
>> this respect.
>
> Tyler,
>
> I can actually imagine having a Washington area OSGeo chapter with
> some focus on US federal issues (military, intelligence and also
> civilian agencies like NASA, USGS, NOAA, ...) *and* some sort of
> north american level organization that helps stitch together broader
> efforts.
>
>> Similar to Mark's close connection with defence, I'm hoping we can
>> also make
>> some inroads with the various other industry associations and with
>> academia
>> - there is certainly a regional need here.  I've added GITA to the
>> list of
>> relevant orgs to help show that - though the list could be 10 times as
>> long
>> if add in the CA/US/MX ASPRS chapters, cartographic associations, federal
>> SDI initiatives, open gov, etc.
>
> Note that Mark was, I believe, listing organizations with a focus
> on open source rather than just organizations with a focus on
> geospatial.
>
>> A cross-industry chapter, with a focus on industry event outreach
>> could be
>> quite powerful if we have good representation in the chapter for those
>> various industries.
>>
>> = Organization =
>>
>> Wiki stated the intent was to organize as a 501c3, I don't think it's
>> a bad
>> idea, but suspect it's not necessary to commit to it at this time.  It
>> may
>> just cause more concern than benefit.  Some other existing related
>> orgs have
>> 501c3 status and could potentially take us under their wing to
>> simplify the
>> administrative side for us.  I'm thinking specifically of GITA or USGIF.
>
> I had to read the above over several times to confirm that the most
> obvious candidate was omitted - OSGeo.  I am very dubious about any
> American local chapter seeking 501(c)3 status or even incorporating
> due to the administrative overhead involved.  I don't see any reason
> that OSGeo central could not hold money for a north american conference
> or other chapter initiatives with the understanding we have to keep
> the number of transactions managable.

Yes, I think this is perfectly fine as long as the overhead does not get
too big. If later a need arises to create a separate legal non-profit
entitiy as many local chapters already have then this is also an option.
But whichever way, the local chapter can start to become active any time.

Cheers,
Arnulf

- --
Exploring Space, Time and Mind