[Oceania-Board] resignation

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 00:50:48 PST 2020

Hi board

It makes no sense to hang around until the election, so here is my
resignation - which should have come back in August.

I really do wish OSGeo Oceania all the best. To be blunt I have had a
pretty terrible time sitting in a directors' seat, and my comments in
the annual report stand.

At the moment I see the organisation in a bit of a miasma. I think the
core of the issue is reflected in comments from some of our community
members, about the organisation losing its way a little - thinking too
much about being 'organisation-ey' and not enough about 'well as long
as ASIC is happy we can shape an organisation to be whatever the
broader community wants, and in the end we just made this up and kind
of elbowed our way into being representatives of this community
anyway'. Yes it is more work to engage more people in decision making,
yes it is more work to do things like run all our infrastructure on
open platforms.

My response to that, as always, is that we have an energetic and
wonderfully positive community to draw upon, and all the organisation
has to do is step back and let that energy happen!

All the best in future endeavours, and as already mentioned, I'm happy
to be around to support new directors.

Kind regards,

Adam

--