[Oceania-Board] resignation

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 03:04:02 PST 2020

Alex, all

Miasma has multiple meanings, the intended one being the figurative
sense of 'unhealthy atmosphere' [1]. I apologise if I caused offence,
the intention was to say what I think and in this case it is plain
that a fresh breeze is needed.

And of course, I have been a director for the past 12 months so I am
not outside of, or apart from my comments here. I own this state as
much as anyone.

Just today, the board has elected to step around established
communication channels to make a decision. In the past month, multiple
decisions have been run outside of established processes and channels.
In the past year, the board has been unable to address direct queries
from community members about what membership means and whether we have
assessed open alternatives to some of the systems and tools we use. We
had to push hard to have this open channel! We were unable to resolve
that we should treat money dedicated to inclusivity programs
differently to a generally (and completely validly) conservative
budget. We no longer publish meeting minutes. We have also had a chair
resign citing irresolvable ethical concerns. This is serious! And to
reiterate, this is as much my responsibility as anyone's. I am deeply
concerned with how my actions have contributed to all this, and will
go away with a lot to reflect on.

We cannot keep saying 'yay its all going fine' if it clearly is not.
We need to be committed to saying what goes wrong as much as what goes
well, this is how a healthy organisation works. Personally speaking it
would be 100% wrong to say I've had a wonderful time. I haven't. This
board has had no problem throwing metaphorical stones in my direction,
and I've felt isolated and unsupported on basic stuff - like 'hey can
we do this on the public list/we need to allow more voting time/ we
need to think about X or Y or Z with respect to data privacy and
ethics'.

I want our community and incoming board members to see that this
happens sometimes - it would be a failure of leadership to not expose
this part of directorship and its frustrations. Community building is
hard. Consensus building is hard. We rarely get what we want. Thats
OK. We need to be open about it. Each director will have a different
impression of how things are going, all of them are valid and all need
to be respected.

And yes, some parts are going great! The incoming SIGs look fantastic
and a wonderful way to deploy OSGeo Oceania as a backing organisation.
The group of nominees for the next board are all amazing. The
financial reports are excellent, and the election process is as good
as it can be with a view to resolving issues that caused the
resignation of a board chair.

So a huge congratulations for everyone involved in making those happen
- it is a lot of work and a real success that these things have been
done!

As a final word, we are shown time and again that the open geospatial
community in Oceania functions pretty well without OSGeo Oceania, so
it is a mistake to say the organisation is critical to the community's
survival. I've evolved the view over the past two years that the niche
of OSGeo Oceania is provide whatever is needed for the community to
move from 'functions pretty well' to 'functions really well and
smoothly and easily', and our efforts as a board should be focussed on
gathering the energy of the community into decision making and how we
function - which takes longer and is harder, but is ultimately more
rewarding.

I'm happy that the people still on the board have enough energy and
enthusiasm left to do more. I've really enjoyed the parts where we
have felt 'on mission' (see above) and got a lot done toward making a
strong foundation for our regional community to use for whatever it
wants. And I really look forward to what happens next with a really
interesting set of new ideas potentially coming into directorships.

Regards,

Adam

[1] https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/miasma