[Oceania-Board] motions: let F4G Oceania 2020 access all Good Mojo funds

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 5 16:00:44 PDT 2020

Dear all,
I have come back to emails after a few days of trying to focus and minimise exposure, and what a storm.

I am not sure why there is little discussion, but I would like suggest that in these crazy times in isolation and quarantine, many people are struggling and/or just not following discussion. I participated – but did not perceive either John’s emails earlier, or any later, as an official motion. So please, my +1 to Alex’s comments should not be interpreted as voting. I believe we have agreed that all voting will be done through Loomio, for transparency. I will cast my vote there.

I fully agree with releasing the funds ( and possibly close to 100%), BUT will quote Alex:
“I'd like to point out that the conference budget has not been approved and does not contain any Good Mojo income or expenses [1].
And I'd like to point out that our approved OO budget has $1,000 allocated to good mojo [2].
”

So in my eyes, we need – backed by voting on Loomio:

  *   A proposal from the conference to how much Good Mojo they need ( with at least a coarse plan, stating what broad use it will have (e..g, enable participation of  underrepresented participants/supporting comms/refreshments whatever, not itemised, but some idea), and how they will distribute it through the hubs ( is it first come first serve?). I know time is short, so this needs to come fast.
  *   OO will need to alter its budget with the amount noted above, and have a vote, for a budget where the amount for good mojo for 2020 is increased. FOSS4G ( the conf) can then deal with allocating the funds to the hubs, and OO can distribute according to the key they establish, sure, no problem.

As much as this all pains me ( I hate bureaucracy, and I am burned out from it), the OO directors have, in my eyes, hands bound.

Martin