[Oceania-Board] Open Governance panel @ SotM / FOSS4G Oceania (WAS: Edoardo contact)

Arnalie Vicario arnalie.vicario at hotosm.org
Tue Jun 27 11:19:46 PDT 2023

(wearing both my OSMF board and HOT hat)

Thanks, Carrol!

Hi Ed (cc OSGeo Oceania board list)!
Carrol let me know that you are part of the OSGEO Oceania board.

I have a topic / panel discussion pitch about the Open Governance topic.

and this proposal is something we'd like to propose at regional SotM's this
year (already proposed at SotM Africa, and waiting to propose for SotM
Asia).

working doc is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LKtw8T5sF5s21pk6DL1bJtflQKNFKBcAph0_cKzId_w/edit

In a nutshell, governance in open communities is not widely discussed in
OSM and communities but could play a potential role in the direction and
sustainability of communities.

Some key points of discussion:

   - What does it mean to open mapping communities?
   - How does it affect direction and sustainability, success and failures
   of the community?
   - What are the challenges / limitations / reservations in building or
   formalizing governance in open communities?
   - Potential to get clearer idea on what is expected in governance for
   OSMF local chapters

*Question / help from you: Do you think this is worth discussing with the
Oceania community? Will having a session on this benefit the Oceania
community?*

I realize this is quite short notice and the call for proposal ends June
30, so hopefully you get this email in time. Happy FOSS4G!

warm regards,

--
*Arnalie Vicario*
Online Community Engagement Lead