[Aust-NZ] GeoNetwork Annual Workshop [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

John.Weaver at ga.gov.au John.Weaver at ga.gov.au
Wed Jul 16 00:18:55 PDT 2008

G'day Bruce and Others....,

I felt it appropriate to provide some details of metadata activities in
general and GeoNetwork specifically from an OSDM perspective.

OSDM has been working with Software Improvements, a Canberra based company
who have been developing a version of the Australian Spatial Data Directory
(ASDD) using GeoNetwork.  This is part of a pilot project we are supporting
for ANZLIC.  While there is a little way to go before GeoNetwork is at a
stage where it can provide an improved capability and be more user friendly,
progress is being made.  Software Improvements have had some contact with
Simon Pigot in relation to this development effort.

>From an ANZLIC perspective, the recent Council meeting closed the ANZLIC
metadata project and established an on-going ANZLIC discovery and access
program.  OSDM has a role as lead agency in this program and is working with
a Steering Group consisting of Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia, New
Zealand and the ANZLIC Office.

In simple terms we are approaching this program on a number of fronts.  The
first is to provide a simple ANZLIC compliant metadata entry tool and a
metadata for dummies guide.  An existing application developed for a
non-spatial area of Defence is being investigated by the ANZLC Steering
Committee.  This wizard based tool is ISO19115 compliant and can provide XML
outputs of the Defence metadata profile.  It is not a management or query
tool.  However, we believe that we can have an ANZLIC compliant version of
this in 2-3 months.  It will be freely available for anyone to download from
the OSDM web site, install and use.

The second front is GeoNetwork and development of this capability.  OSDM is
working with NCRIS and Rob Woodcock in relation to the Spatial Information
Services Stack (SISS), a component of which will consist of GeoNetwork
development to meet identified user needs.  Our initial thoughts on this
relate to ease of use and ease of modification (due to limited documentation)
and also the significance of having an effective and usable ASDD.  At this
stage GeoNetwork it is not considered suitable to provide to agencies to meet
their enterprise metadata management needs, since the learning curve is too
steep.  I am hoping that the SISS activity will reduce this burden.

Further we see GeoNetwork operating at two slightly different levels.  The
first is the ASDD level and the second is at the enterprise or agency level -
two slightly different functions.

The challenge is trying to coordinate and prioritise these development needs
and also work with the open source community and other GeoNetwork developers
to reduce duplication of effort.  OSDM has held a couple of 'GeoNetwork'
meetings with the broader community and would like to continue to play a role
in coordination of this activity, assuming the broader community agreed with
this.

>From a simplistic view point what I feel is required is a set of development
requirements to be established to meet both short and longer term needs
covering for ANZLIC, SISS and other users needs and a mechanism to
effectively coordinate the implementation of these requirements by the
relevant stakeholders together with a mechanism to link this to the FAO
efforts.

OSDM is willing to play a community liaison role to help coordinate these
requirements and provide an interface to the developers, especially SISS.

As a starting point OSDM would like to capture a list of user needs and
development requirements.  If you see the value in this, perhaps you can
start to either document your needs/requirements or send us any requirements
or specification that you already have.  OSDM can collate these to 'discover'
any overlap or duplication.

The results of this 'collation' of requirements can them be fed back to the
developer and user communities with a view to maximising the benefit for all.

If all this comes together it might be a good starting point for the Annual
Workshop as discussed below.

I look forward to your comments on this.

John Weaver

Manager, Office of Spatial Data Management

Geoscience Australia

Post: GPO Box 378, Canberra ACT 2601

Ph 6249 9590

Email: john.weaver at osdm.gov.au