[Aust-NZ] CrisisCamp Pakistan Floods, Sydney (4-5 Sept)

Gavin Treadgold gt at kestrel.co.nz
Tue Aug 24 17:38:00 PDT 2010

Thanks for the reply Hamish.

On 2010-08-24, at 15:48 , Hamish wrote:
> perhaps cc to the osgeo-discuss mailing list? maybe some wider ideas there.

I'll do that, but not right now, I've got enough lists I'm currently trying to maintain a presence on ;)

> what would the base of the data be? maps.google.com/OSM/Bing/gdal2tiles.py
> TMS or similar pre-rendered background tiles in Openlayers with Sahana x,y
> datapoints taken from a MySQL db?

It usually ends up being quite a mixture as we pull in remote services e.g. freshly flown post-event imagery, as well as information we are currently storing in a db. Currently mainly point features, but our goal is to move towards full PostGIS support as well and work towards lines, but especially polygons. But we are not there yet.

> Is a complicated toolchain set up by experts on a managed server no-good
> vs. something local which can be used offline without adding too much to
> the footprint of the local deployment? is integration with Openlayers
> itself needed, or a just work/look alike experience?

Certainly for a disaster application, we ideally want to be able to deploy this in the field disconnected from the Internet. Integration with OL is not necessarily required, but we just need to be able to integrate the same sources that we display in OL. So a cloud toolchain is far less than ideal for us.

Cheers Gav