[Aust-NZ] meetups or other activates for the new year?

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:58:06 PST 2012

Fair enough - and I love meeting new customers at open source functions such as meet ups.

However the point (of an informal or formal local chapter) is to promote open source spatial in Australia and New Zealand. As an open source lead (i.e. volunteer) I want in on that action so I can meet and attract new developers.

The foundation does have a chance to promote organisations; it has a few high level agreements (such as with OGC); and right now treads a very careful line between promoting any and all open source companies (with a directory of service providers) balanced again a list of sponsors who pay for the party.

- http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
- http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile
- http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Case_Studies

I am not sure if it would make it easier or harder if a local chapter started accepting sponsorships? Or if anyone would be interested in sponsoring an Aust-NZ local chapter.

Aside: I figure LISAsoft is doing just fine at promoting itself; I try and pitch in as an employee (for example LISAsoft was kind enough to send me Spatial at Gov). However I do not presume to speak on behalf of LISAsoft; or any customers I am working with unless prior arrangements have been made.

--
Jody Garnett