[OSGeo Oceania] Organisation Constitution

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 20:02:58 PDT 2019

Hey Andrew

>From memory, this company 'object' is based on the classifications from the
ABS. We needed to pick one, and for what it's worth, we picked this one
<https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/F116051EC9F34F69CA25711F00147017?opendocument>.
This is the full list
<https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/5463F15A4D2FCBA0CA25711F00146D77?opendocument>,
and maybe there's a slot we fit into better, but I don't think it's
important. (Having written this, and done a little research now, I'm not
100% on this actually. Perhaps Greg has a better recollection?)

Regarding whether we're a not for profit, we are, and this page defines the
test for it <https://www.acnc.gov.au/for-charities/start-charity/not-profit>.
Basically, there are two required clauses in the constitution:
not-for-profit (how we distribute funds) and dissolution (what happens to
them if we wrap the organisation up). ANZ, for example, has recognised us
as a not-for-profit and we have our fees waived with them.

Cheers,

Alex

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 14:57, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I only just noticed the constitution now,
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kakpBuOsF6ObF4IiUVSA2PRI3-7Asy7P/view I
> had a few questions.
>
> - Is the company a non-profit? I couldn't find anything in the
> constitution to this affect. Ho
>
> - The objective is overly broad "Promoting the study, education and
> appreciation of professionals involved in scientific and professional
> service pursuits." I would have though the constitution cemented the
> organisation as being about promoting free and open source geospatial
> software and data.

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050