[OSGeo Oceania] Fiji's - Letter of Intent - FOSS4G SotM Pasifika 2020

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 16:05:40 PDT 2019

Hi Vasiti, all

Thanks for this proposal, it is fantastic to see broad support and energy
in the region for open geospatial systems!

While I’m not in a decision making position on this, I have two questions
broadly:

1. how will this proposal address continuity / handover of experiences
between current conference committees and future ones? It’s worked well so
far to have a mix of old/new people on the committee, and reduces the risk
of an event being organised ‘in a bubble'. On a related tangent, it would
be fantastic to expose more ‘big islanders’ to how small islands in our
region do things in a logistics/political sense. I don’t see clearly how to
achieve that without growing the LoC excessively - perhaps local leads with
helpers from all over the place?

2. branding: pasifika/oceania? both terms are used to describe the event. I
can see where you’re coming from with joining efforts between an
existing Pacific Islands OSGeo chapter and the newly minted Oceania chapter
- to me it doesn’t matter which way the brand goes, just pick one :D

I wish this proposal all the best, and hope to see it come to life!

Regards,

Adam

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 16:02, Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a very exciting proposal, thank you Vasiti and others.
>
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 15:47, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wonderful, thanks Vasiti & team! Looking forward to discussing further.
>> We'll be in touch after the closing date (16th).
>>
>> Cheers
>> John
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 07:37, Vasiti Soko <vasiti.soko at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bula,