[OSGeo Oceania] Recent changes to the OSGeo Oceania Board

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 23:06:37 PDT 2020

Dear OSGeo Oceania members and our broader community

I’m writing to provide an update on a few changes to the OSGeo Oceania
Board.

Firstly, our Chair John Bryant has resigned from the Board. This is a great
loss to our Board as I’m sure all of you know. John has worked tirelessly
on our community, from the very earliest spark of an idea of running a
conference in the region through to the creation of OSGeo Oceania Limited,
the entity that now exists to support the community. I’ve known John only
for a couple of years, but we’ve spent a lot of time making things happen
together and I have to say that he is a remarkable person who is driven to
get things done and to go the extra mile. I think I speak for all Board
members by saying that we’ll miss him and that he leaves a large void and
oversized footwear behind him!

So, thank you John, for all your time and hard work.

The Board met on the 12th of June to discuss John’s departure among other
things. I was nominated as Chair and have accepted with the support of all
members of the Board, so I’m writing to you now as Chair. It’s a great
honour, and I’ll strive to ensure that this organisation operates
transparently and remains a strong and viable organisation so that we can
steward the conference series as well as supporting the open community
throughout Oceania.

With John’s resignation, we now have a vacant Board position. The Board has
decided that this should remain vacant until the next election, which will
be November this year, at which point John’s term and four other current
directors’ terms would have ended anyway.

Please contact me or any other Board member if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Alex Leith
Chair, OSGeo Oceania Limited