[OSGeo Oceania] Fwd: [Oceania-Board] [Oceania-Board-Private] OO Code of Conduct V2.0 draft

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 18:13:55 PST 2020

Thanks John

And you're right, it's been really hard to balance commitments in this
crazy year.

I'm personally of the view that having a Code of Conduct that is good is
what we need right now, and pushing for perfection will just lead to
further delays. I'm very happy to receive dissenting views on this, and if
folks would like us to wait until after the elections in December for the
new Board to take on the finalisation of this document, which has been in
draft form for a long time, then that's ok with me.

I'm trying hard to be transparent. We have the open board list at
oceania-board, and I'm drafting the annual report in a public document. Any
apparent lack of transparency is merely through negligence and not any evil
intent!

Kind regards,

Alex

On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 at 13:00, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just learned that OSGeo Oceania may be about to ratify a new code of
> conduct for this community, see below.
>
> I'm generally in favour of codes of conduct, I think they have a place in
> promoting positive behaviour, but I believe they need to be very carefully
> drafted and the community should be included in their design. The code of
> conduct referenced here reads like a draft, and has significant issues.
>
> I ask the board to hold off on ratifying this new policy, until it has
> meaningfully consulted the community, and resolved outstanding issues. I'm
> doubtful there is enough time and bandwidth remaining in this board's
> mandate, with the conference taking place in two weeks,
> board-election-related activities happening over the next month, and an AGM
> in 5 weeks.
>
> I also ask the board to improve its transparency practices - this
> community should have more visibility into what the board is doing.
>
> John

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050