[OSGeo Oceania] OSGeo Oceania Board Terms of Reference Update for Review

Trisha Moriarty moriar1y at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 17:50:47 PDT 2020

Thank you for your comments and it's great to see active discussion on the
draft ToR v2.0. We can certainly make the requested modifications to the
Board's communication processes  and the ToR can be modified to reflect the
changed practice.

So just to confirm that  I understand the new process...

The Oceania-board list is to be made public, that is open for all community
members to subscribe to. Having the dedicated board list will make it
easier to track and filter conversations in our inboxes.
The board will  use the Oceania Board list for all board communications,
except for those where privacy is deemed necessary.
A new list called Ocean-board-private will be used for these conversations,
ensuring they can be archived.
We will list those circumstances in the ToR, so it is clear when the
Oceania-board-private list can be used.
Currently there are two circumstances
1. code of conduct breaches
2. commercial in confidence matters
Are there any more? Do we need to be more specific with the commercial in
confidence matters?

I have created a V2.1 on google drive and modified to the Communication
Section to reflect the new processes mentioned above.  This is obviously
still open for further suggestions and refinement of both the processes and
wording.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mwuJeE_NunKieUP6z4yHSmvlAd8B4ZOHD0qBqeY6DyY/edit?usp=sharing

I have also copied the newly modified text of the Communication
section below for your convenience.

*Terms of Reference version 2.1 *

*Communication*

The Board aims to operate transparently.

Board discussions are held in a dedicated mailing list (
oceania-board at lists.osgeo.org) which is open for all community members to
subscribe to.  In some cases it may be appropriate to hold a discussion in
a private space if it is a sensitive matter relating to a breach in the
code of conduct  or a commercial-in-confidence matter. The
Oceania-board-private at lists.osgeo.org is to be used in these cases, the
person beginning a thread should state why it should be kept private.

Casual/operational discussions can occur in informal channels (eg. the
Maptime Oceania Slack group), with preference given to public channels
where appropriate.

The email address supplied by members during the registration process will
be the primary email for all ensuing communication unless advised otherwise.

*Terms of Reference version 2.0 *

*Communication*
The Board aims to operate transparently.
Board discussions are held in a dedicated mailing list (
oceania-board at lists.osgeo.org). In some cases it may be appropriate to hold
a discussion in a private space, for example if it relates to specific
individuals or commercial-in-confidence matters. In these cases, the person
beginning a thread should state why it should be kept private.

Casual/operational discussions can occur in informal channels (eg. the
Maptime Oceania Slack group), with preference given to public channels
where appropriate.

The email address supplied by members during the registration process will
be the primary email for all ensuing communication unless advised otherwise.

Trisha