[OSGeo Oceania] Speaking invitation - special session on Pacific Islands Countries and Territories (PICTs) at 15th Asia Oceania Symposium, 30 Sept 2022 [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 01:42:05 PDT 2022

Hi Oceania

The following opportunity to speak about OSGeo Oceania and its role in
the regional geospatial community came across my desk this week. Its
for a symposium run by the Asia-Oceania Group on Earth Observations
(AOGEO) [1].

The tl:dr is that there's a 10 minute slot to give an online talk
about OSGeo Oceania on Friday 30 September, we need to pick a
representative by Friday 2 September (or soon after). The talk is in a
session with the theme "Highlight the important role of 4 different
community led EO networks in supporting the PICTs with their
geospatial needs", and OSGeo Oceania is one of those networks,

Full details are given below my blurb.

I highly encourage anyone who wants to make some connections in the
GEO [2] community and feels like they can represent OSGeo Oceania and
its goals to step up! I think it is super valuable if the speaker can
provide some perspective on OSGeo Oceania outside of the government
focus that GEO sits inside of (my opinion, totally fine if that is not
shared!)

If it seems daunting there are a lot of resources available to help -
slide decks about OSGeo Oceania, mentoring, people to practice on,
general support.

I've removed attachments from the e-mail below, I can send them or set
them up as google docs for anyone interested.

Cheers, and happy FOSS4G week!

Adam

[1] https://aogeo.net/en/
[2] https://earthobservations.org/index.php

--

Dear friends and colleagues of Asia Oceania GEO and the Pacific Islands

This email is to follow up on our earlier discussions in relation to
presenting at the upcoming 15th Asia Oceania Group on Earth
Observations (GEO) Symposium “New horizons for Earth observation in
Asia Oceania Region: Searching for engagements”.

This will be  a virtual event hosted by Japan 28 to 30 of September
2022 (Time: 11:00-15:30[Beijing]; 12:00-16:30 [Tokyo & Seoul];
13:00-17:30 [Canberra]; Geneva 04:00 (UTC+1:00); Nepal 08:45
(UTC+5:45); Beijing 11:00 (UTC+8:00); Seoul & Tokyo 12:00 (UTC+9:00);
Canberra 14:00 (UTC+11:00); Aukland 16:00 (UTC+13:00)].

This is a very important symposium for AO GEO and its role going
forward, given the big structural changes and decadal planning cycle
underway through

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will be unable to lead this
session, but I am still very hopeful it will be a great session
through your collective, collaborative efforts.

Session details

·       Title: Importance of local and sub-regional EO networks to the PICTs

·       Date, time: Friday 30th September, 12.00-1pm, JST (UTC+9:00)

·       Focus: Highlight the important role of 4 different community
led EO networks in supporting the PICTs with their geospatial needs

·       Chair: TBC

·       Session outline

o   Opening remarks by chair (5 minutes)

o   4 presentations (10  minutes each)

o   Discussion (5 minutes)

o   Closing remarks by chair (5 minutes)

·       Proposed speakers/topics

o   Blue Planet Asian Secretariat – please provide an outline of the
regional network, and conclude with a brief outline of the planned
conference in Korea next year (Proposed presenter – Dr Sung-Jin Cho,
key contact – Emily Smail)

o   OS GEO Oceania – please provide an outline of the regional chapter
of OS GEO Oceania, conclude with a brief outline of plans for Suva
conference focussing on FOSS4G angle (Lead – tbc – in the interim
please work with Adam Stocks)

o   Pacific GRSC - please provide an outline of PGRSC’s work, and
conclude with a brief outline of the planned conference in Suva angle
(Lead – tbc – in the interim please work with Adam Steer)

o   The New Caledonian GeoDEV RAN – please provide an outline of the
regional network, and conclude with an outline of the Oceania
Geospatial Symposium, including its links to GEO and the 2025 pa brief
outline of the planned conference in Korea next year (Proposed
presenter – Valerie Burtet for GEO DEV Ran, Jean Massenet for OGS)

Speaker instructions

·       To accept this speaker invitation, please complete the
attached short speaker bio template, together with proposed topic and
three discussion starter questions by Friday 2 September 2022. Email
to emilie at oceania-geospatial.com; Emilie.long at csiro.au;
aogeo15 at restec.or.jp

·       Each presentation will be a maximum of 10 minutes. Please
confirm with the symposium secretariat on the timeframes and process
to send your presentation.

·       Please follow the attached presentation instructions (for both
Mac and PC). Contact the Aogeo15 at restec.or.jp if you have any
questions

Thank you so much for your help and cooperation. I’ve included some
broader background about the symposium and this session below for
further context.

 I look forward to watching the recordings and congratulating you all
personally upon my return to work.

 Best wishes

Emma

Emma Luke  | Director, National Planning and International Relations
|  Digital Earth Branch  | Space Division

15th Asia Oceania Group on Earth Observations (GEO) Symposium:

New horizons for Earth observation in Asia Oceania Region: Searching
for engagements

1.       THEME

The theme of this symposium has been set as an “New horizons for Earth
observation in Asia Oceania Region: Searching for engagements”.
Recognizing EO provides a stronger evidence base for decision making,
AOGEO has been working closely to utilize the EO data for addressing
regional agendas. These collaborations provide significant
achievements especially for cooperation amongst the public sectors. On
the other hand, we have recognized the importance of enhancing
engagement of stakeholders including the private sector to facilitate
EO related regional networks and application to decision-making in the
region (2021 AOGEO statement, the 14th AOGEO symposium). Therefore,
this symposium will organize special sessions which provide
opportunity for enhancing stakeholder engagement by showcasing
progressive use cases in the region. Furthermore, this symposium
contributes to GEO post-2025 strategic mission development. Providing
important platform for AOGEO community to engage in the GEO post-2025
strategic mission development process through the special session.

aogeo15 at restec.or.jp