[OSGeo Oceania] [Oceania-Board] Geospatial Council of Australia - thoughts?

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:03:55 PDT 2023

Hey Folks

Regarding APSEA, I agree that calling them "asia-pacific" awards is a bit
of a stretch. They used to include New Zealand, but even then it's not
right. But I think that they are significant and even to be nominated for
an award, like one of the APSEA ones, or the OSGeo Sol Katz award, is a big
deal. I'm sure there are other forms of recognition that we can deliver,
but celebrating those in our community who have gone above and beyond with
an award is important.

I'll look at drafting a letter to go to GCA and will share it with folks.
I'm also working on a draft "community recognition" document, maybe a
policy, for OSGeo Oceania, which again I'll share around when we have
something that's a good first approximation.

Relevant to the MOU discussion, I've also reached out to the Institute of
Australian Geographers and we're going to have a discussion sometime in the
next couple of months on how we might collaborate.

Thanks again for raising this, Adam.

Cheers,

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050