[OSGeo Oceania] OSGeo Oceania 2023-2024 Budget

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 18:25:39 PDT 2023

Hi John

This was only reduced to more closely reflect what we're likely to spend,
i.e., we have only spent around $3,000 this FY so budgeting $5,000 is an
increase from what we spent.

But you're right, we should be keeping it high and flagging the intention
to get the funds out into the community. I think this budget line should be
considered a soft limit, and the Board can approve requests from the grants
committee outside the budget, or increase it. Thanks for pointing it out
though, it does seem contradictory, but please don't read it as us being
less enthusiastic to support local groups. We're feeling quite the opposite.

Kind regards,

Alex

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 at 11:16, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Comparing it to last year's budget, the "Grants and sponsorship" line item
> has been reduced from $8000 to $5000. The comment next to it says "Aiming
> to increase this expenditure, increase impact" but I don't know what this
> means.
>
> I'm wondering what the impact will be on local groups seeking grants from
> OO? Is the potential pool of funding reduced?
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 at 07:52, Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Folks
>>
>> I'm pleased to share that the budget for 2023-2024 has been approved by
>> the Board.
>>
>> You can find it here:
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vP0Z975xFUiHwi7c4i8y87XSnhwnHbIqQjsuc2ov8Kw
>>
>> It's also linked on the OCeania page on the OSGeo wiki.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> --
>> Alex Leith