[OSGeo Oceania] Draft Letter to Geospatial Council of Australia

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:30:01 PDT 2023

Ok, I've had a go at redrafting, and incorporated many suggestions from
others.

Please have another read:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14CMm6zuY8ZSPmg19EK5-Br8qp3CyOTk2WMpNt8liLao/edit

I would like to send this to Paul tomorrow, so I can discuss it with him
next week at Locate.

Thanks for your input so far, I think it's already much better!

On Wed, 3 May 2023 at 18:49, Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Alex
>
> Thanks for having a go at this, a couple of suggestions suggested  -
> and I think Emma's comment is great about recognising open source
> contributions to all the things - just couldn't see how to work it in.
>
> Is it possible to shy away from membership benefit discussions? OSGeo
> Oceania and GCA ideas about what it means to be part of the community
> are quite likely to be incompatible, I see only complications there -
> the model of OSGeo / OSGeo Oceania (if you do open source things
> you're already a member of the community, just say you want that
> formalised in OSGeo or OSGeo Oceania both and it'll be formalised ) is
> key to maintaining a diverse and vibrant community.
>
> Also, an encouragement for everyone to take the long view on an MoU,
> it might take years to create - and stay in place for years. Be
> audacious, OSGeo Oceania is a first class geospatial citizen!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam
>
> On Mon, 1 May 2023 at 08:56, Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Folks
> >
> > As discussed in the other thread about a potential MOU, I have drafted a
> letter here to send to Paul Digney, from GCA.
> >

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/14CMm6zuY8ZSPmg19EK5-Br8qp3CyOTk2WMpNt8liLao/edit
> >
> > This is open for comments, so please make suggestions on this list or
> directly in the document. I will send the letter at the start of next week
> and will talk to Paul about the potential MOU at Locate.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > --
> > Alex Leith