[OSGeo Oceania] 2024 OSGeo Oceania board objectives

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 18:24:38 PST 2024

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 at 11:36, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> it would be good to see the momentum continue.

Certainly would!

> Would you see this as being via the Oceania OSM local chapter, should it
> become more formally active?

Yes, it would be good if it could do so! Personally (& I think it may be
the case for quite a few others?), my only geo / QGIS activity / exposure
is mapping via OSM, so that would be more meaningful for me, at least.

Or does OSGeo Oceania have an elevated status as a coordinating body?

That one could be an either / or? Which has the greater public "presence /
recognition"?

> We financially managed to get the Tasmanian State Government to sign a
> waiver. I understand Queensland is one of the holdouts still.

Yeah :-(

I bit the bullet early last year & wrote straight to the Qld Premier asking
if we could be given access to all Qld Govt Open Data. "She" acknowledged &
said that my query was being redirected to teh appropriate Minister.
Unfortunately, though, there was a Cabinet reshuffle only a few weeks
later, which apparently killed that :-( Tried to follow-up a few months
later but no response, not even an acknowledgement! & seeing that hse has
herself now resigned, so a new Premier & Cabinet, with teh distinct
possibility of a change of Govt this year, I'm not holding my breath!

Anyone can convince them to do it, but I think it's a great role for OO to
> take on in terms of advocacy and knowing who needs to sign what. Getting
> more waivers signed is incremental, but impactful in the long term.

Yep!

Thanks

Graeme