[OpenCitySmart] [GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Ideas on spatio-temporal analysis of air quality point data

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sun Nov 15 18:49:36 PST 2015

forgot to mention:

Charles Schweik http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/opencitysmart/2015-November/000051.html

Hogan, Patrick http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/opencitysmart/2015-November/000053.html
> If we could see [the data], it might be easier to figure out what to do with it and how to do it.

Data format matters lots in this domain. If your data is netCDF[1] (predominant in atmospheric science) you will very much want tools that ingest that easily, or you will need a high pain threshold.

Also, what are you trying to do with the data? If you're *solely* interested in visualizing concentrations, this has been (IIUC, which I may not--this is not quite my field) most heavily done for Houston and Los Angeles, so I'd start with lit queries like

Houston "air quality" visualization

If you wanna do source apportionment: techniques for that gets a lot more diverse/messy, using things like reverse Lagrangian models with buttloads of statistical woohoo.

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetCDF