[OpenCitySmart] FW: President Barack Obama: America's Chief Resilience Officer?

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 28 13:10:36 PDT 2016

Suchith,
Yep, all these places like to speak to the hot topic of the day, Global Urban Innovators. They've got Events, Research and Past Projects, and they are doing all kinds of things that need to be done except for the one thing that is needed for actual results.

The basic foundation app that is needed to actually do what they say they want to, yet they do everything but deliver a solution. The solution still remains a very proprietary world, and it doesn't have to be. In fact, if we are going to have a future on this planet, we need to do something mighty quick about how to live on it sustainably and together, with cities leading development of that solution. Their needs are essentially the same. And we don't need trade agreements to make this a viable result that rapidly becomes a success story of allowing a planet to work in each other's interest.

The first order of business is the platform for managing a city's basic infrastructure, and do it with an eye for resilience. We started down that road with the City of Springfield Oregon, http://nsdinow.org/SDI_Now_02/Technical_Support.html with WorldWind Java. We are now moving to establish that foundational app that all cities can contribute to and benefit from with WebWorldWind. So, there is the Europa Challenge, lightweight as it is, but it does exist to deliver solutions, not ideas. http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/

And we have provided the basic 'app' framework for others to run with,

Demo: http://explorer.worldwind.earth/

Code: https://github.com/emxsys/WorldWindExplorer

We need the seed crystal that is actually 'working' for a city that then gets other cities to participate. We will rapidly achieve nirvana from there.

-Patrick
(650) 604-5656 (office)
(650) 269-2788 (cell)