[OpenGeoscience] Rafael workshop idea

Margherita Di Leo margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Nov 16 00:54:28 PST 2015

Dear Rafael,

thank you for your email. I take the liberty to forward it to the
opengeoscience mailing list, because it is of general interest. During the
last virtual meeting, it has been discussed about the opportunity to propose
one single course covering several projects, starting from osgeolive, or
rather proposing more than one short course. The opinions were different.
Someone also pointed out that there are so many events going on at EGU, that
it is hard to involve the people for more than a course. However, after all
it is not up to us to decide, but the organizers of EGU will approve or not
the proposed courses. My suggestion is indeed that you guys propose the
course to EGU, and the opengeoscience group support the initiative with the
broader publicity. As far as I'm concerned, I find your proposal very
interesting and I would myself be interested in attending the courses. I
would probably not attend if the course was less specific and also covering
other software, because from my experience it is difficult to enter into
detail and actually take home some real experience, if the topic is too
general. This is why I believe it is a good thing to keep the postgis short
course separated from the osgeolive one. On the other hand, people
approaching osgeolive for the first time might be more attracted by other
software, perhaps desktop GIS, or geospatial libraries, and would not bear a
detailed presentation of postgis. But this is my opinion, and I'd like to
hear also others'. In the meanwhile, I'd invite you (Rafael) to add your
idea in the wiki page at
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Open_Geoscience_Committee#Activities

Thank you

Best regards,