[OpenGeoscience] EGU 2016 Short Courses Preparation

"Peter Löwe" peter.loewe at gmx.de
Mon Jan 25 13:00:50 PST 2016

Hi Micha, all,

>Have a look at the table here:
>
>https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Open_Geoscience_Committee#Ideas_collected_for_the_introductionary_short_course_at_EGU_2016

If the table could be extended for all software projects within OSGeo Live, we could do a shout-out both within ESSI and OSGEO/GEO4ALL to get more people involved to showcase how the individual tools are put into action.

>Can I add you as a presenter for GRASS, then?
Yes.

>>What will be needed to get the VM & USB drives off the ground ? Is a custom-made VM needed ? Funding for USB drives (= give-aways) could be requested by the OSGeo board, if necessary.
>I don't think we need a custom VM. I would like to have USB drives to hand out with the Installation of VirtualBox, >and a VM ready to use. THis way launching into the actual short course would be relatively quick.
>I have been told that Jorge Sanz knows a European based company that does a good job of burning USB drives. But I >haven't contacted him yet. The funding is still the blocker.

FWIW, a request for funding for the USB drives can be requested from the OSGeo Board list. The decision by the Board will be publicly made via the list. FWIW, here are the details for the proposal for Townhall funding for the Board:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2016#Relevance_for_OSGeo
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2016#Budget

Maybe Maxi (cc) can provide more detailed advice on the process and the criteria for funding.

One lesson learned from FOSS4G 2015 (Portland) is that the company responsible for the production of the OSGEo Live USB drives should be closely monitored for delivering a working product: "Bricked" OSGeo VM USB sticks could turn into a critical single point of failure for the EGU short courses.

Best,
Peter