[OpenGeoscience] OSGeo @ EGU 2017: Ideas ? Volunteers ?

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Wed Jan 11 09:48:19 PST 2017

Dear peter,
I'm having problmen in submitting abstracts to EGU, since the system seems
not accepting payments :-(
If I'll solve my issues and be at EGU, i certanily will be available to
present something: either related to OSGeo (descripton of the fundation) or
related to the Open Monitoring System WG and related stuff..

Best,
maxi

> Dear all,
>
> the EGU general assembly will take place in Vienna from April 23 - 28.
> While the call for abstracts is now closed, the calls for events as part of
> the conference are still open.
>
> Starting in 2014, there were OSGeo-themed reach out events ("Townhall") at
> every EGU general assembly. Townhalls are evening events allowing for reach
> out and discussion, similar to a birds of a feather meeting (with
> refreshments). Detailed information on what was done so far is available in
> the Wiki (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2014
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2015 https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/
> EGU_Townhall_2016).
>
> During the last years, many other reach-out opportunities were discovered
> at EGU (splinter meetings, workshops, evening meetings with the austrian
> OSGeo community), but as always volunteers are the lifeblood to make them
> happen:
>
> it would be good to know who is planning to attend EGU this year. Who's
> interested to "do (cool) OGSGeo stuff" there ? What do we want to do ?
>
> I would propose to request (at least) again a timeslot at the conference
> for a dedicated OSGeo-Townhall, allowing for discussions like the growing
> siginificance of Open Science, and OSGeos part of this. The deadline for
> this is January 20. With the current budget allowance for the
> OpenGeoScience Committee, the funding is available (funding is only needed
> for the refreshments, room booking is for free). Yet we need volunteers and
> speakers to make it happen. Who's interested to lend a hand ?
>
> Further, I would like to pitch the idea, to also have a splinter meeting
> in addition during the lunch hours on another day ("birds of a
> feather"-style get together). This would allow to reach out to people who
> are unable to attend the evening event. This format is quite popular among
> the scientific publishers, to give the attendees a quick briefing on what
> has happened during the last year. This could be used to inform about all
> the  latest developments of OSGeo and the community projects. What are your
> thoughts about this ?
>
> Best,
> Peter

*Massimiliano Cannata*