[OpenGeoscience] AGU 2017: How Safe and Persistent Is Your Research? (video)

massimo di stefano massimodisasha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:50:56 PST 2018

Thanks for the link Peter. I enjoyed the presentation!

Reproducibility and persistence of research is an ‘hot topic’ on which I’m very interested, including provenance of data products to keep track of the life cycle of geospatial data :)

I thought it was worth to share with the group a work I’ve been involved in the past months [1].
In the published paper I use as 'supplementary material' a link to zenodo [2] which assign a DOI to a released version of a GitHub repository [3].
The associate a DOI at the Zenodo link will always show the availability of new releases of the repository.

By using the ‘mybinder’ [4] service, from the GitHub repository it is possible to access the data and execute the code used to reproduce part of the results published in the paper.
Under the hood ‘mybinder’ runs a docker container where I installed a subset of the OSGeo software ecosystem (GRASS+GDAL). The mybinder makes the docker container  accessible from a Jupyter notebook … which runs in the cloud “for free” ...

If of interest, I’ll be very happy to collaborate with the opengeoscience group to build a common docker image that we can easily deployed on mybinder to reproduce paper results made by the group.

Cheers,
Massimo.

[1] http://www.mdpi.com/2076-3263/8/1/28 <http://www.mdpi.com/2076-3263/8/1/28>
[2] https://zenodo.org/record/1149564#.WoxhTma-LUI <https://zenodo.org/record/1149564#.WoxhTma-LUI>