[OpenLayers-Dev] googlemap and tilecache

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Dec 16 08:33:46 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 03:31:02PM +0900, YuGo wrote:
> Hi
> I saw this site, wms layer overlaied googleMap
> http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/google.html
>
> I want to set this appliction on 'tilecache-1.2'.
> I combined source code in several ways,but no good result.
> How to get this purpose?

This is not possible with the current TileCache and OpenLayers.

The tile locations are based on the window position -- they are not
regular. This is an implementation problem in OpenLayers.

The tile locations are based on Google's API always returning the same
thing for a given setup -- I don't know how dependable this is.

Mostly, it comes down to the fact that overlay support on Google Maps in
OpenLayers is great for small use cases,  but is not designed to fit in
a cached tiling scheme. Sorry.

Patches to change or improve this behavior are welcome.