[OpenLayers-Dev] ANN: OpenLayers 2.2 release candidate 1

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Oct 20 16:07:34 EDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:48:42PM +0200, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hey Schuyler,
>
> I just tried the 2.2RC1, is WMS Untiled still working? I don't get any
> map anymore.
>
> It seems OpenLayers is now requesting images larger than 2048 pixels.
> Which is over Mapserver's maximum.

To obtain the behavior of 2.1 in 2.2RC1, you must pass an option of
 'ratio': 1

to the WMS Untiled constructor. This was to correct bad behavior on the
part of the Untiled layer, where the slightest, 1 pixel movement would
cause the entire map to reload, a significant user interaction problem.

The 'ratio' number can be any factor, and will be the amount the WMS
Untiled layer should scale by. This example will adjust one of your
layers to use this option correctly:

var layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS.Untiled( "WorldGen_Outline",
    "http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_world?",
    {layers: 'WorldGen_Outline', 'format':'image/png', 'transparent':'true'},
    {'ratio':1}); // <- your change

This is also a bug fix for users who have large screens, since now it's
possible for them to adjust their map images to have a relative size to
the map which is smaller than that maximum.

The default behavior was seen as the best choice for user interaction in
the standard case.