[OpenLayers-Dev] AJAX vector rendering "gathering"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 02:00:54 EST 2006

There are a number of early implementations of AJAX GIS vector rendering
that we are all involved in - and there seems to be a common desire to
work together on this.

I suggest we have an IRC meeting where we can agree on a common design
(at a high level) then volunteer for components.

that everyone who is interested join together in an IRC session in 12
hours at:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2006&month=10&day=30&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=16&p3=179&p4=137
Sydney		Tue 6:00:00 AM	UTC+11 hours EST
Amsterdam	Mon 8:00:00 PM	UTC+1 hour CET
New York	Mon 2:00:00 PM	UTC-5 hours EST
Los Angeles 	Mon 11:00:00 AM	UTC-8 hours PST
Corresponding UTC (GMT)	Monday, 30 October 2006 at 19:00:00

Channel:
irc://freenode.net#openlayers

Agenda:
00 - 05: Roll Call. Confirm agenda.
05 - 10: Who is working on what, and what you plan to work on + questions.
10 - 50: Design discussion.
50 - 55: Coordinate efforts (who is working on what)
55 - 60: Arange next meeting.
60   --: Meeting close

People who have shown an interest so far:
I'm writing vector rendering code for large GML datasets, currently
using Mapbuilder but I'd like to move the logic into OpenLayers and use
OpenLayers for the Mapbuilder rendering engine.
With Paul Spencer, I've started putting together a design at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/AJAX_WebMapping_Vector_Rendering_Design#Graphics_Class_Diagram

Paul Spencer has written vector rendering code for OpenLayers using
IECanvas and has been discussing a new Vector rendering design with me.

Pierre Giraud and Bertil Chapuis have implemented vector rendering in
OpenLayers, including feature entry and editing at:
http://dev.camptocamp.com/~bchapuis/openlayers/examples/vector.html

Steven Ottens needs to edit features in a browser and I think he has
plans for working on this soon.

Ed Dowding has put together design ideas at:
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/VectorDrawing

Patrice Cappelaere has written SVG and VML support for GeoRSS and GML
layers in Mapbuilder using elements of SLD for styling.

Others on the CC list have contributed to discussions. Please add your
name and come along if you are interested.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net