[OpenLayers-Dev] two newbie questions

Alan Borden alan.borden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 18:21:27 EST 2006

I wasn't sure if maybe the dev list was a better place for the questions, so
I'm reposting with some more details.

I did attempt to solve this on my own through some google searching and
found a thread with several of the openlayers developers discussing tiling
options, here:
http://lists.eogeo.org/pipermail/tiling/2006-September/thread.html

One of the options mentioned was IIPImage which also seems geared toward
just photos, similar to gsiv,  but there was no indication that it would
work with openlayers - and my understanding was that ka-map produces tiles
via a php script, but only for mapserver.

Looking at the settings available in openlayers, I assume it's the
projection parameter in openlayers I should be concerned with (?). I have
very little familiarity with cartographic semantics, so I just need to know
if I am on the right track. So is there a way to set a simple cartesian
coordinate system projection and feed in 256x256 tiles that are in a
directory with filenames like this:
tile-0-0-0.png
tile-1-0-0.png
tile-1-0-1.png
tile-1-1-0.png
tile-1-1-1.png
tile-2-0-0.png ...etc.

This tile structure is what I currently get out of gsiv, but I'm happy to
use any tiling script that would make getting started with openlayers
painless. I don't care about caching, etc. yet, but I would like to use the
layering functionality.

I'd like to use this as a tool in my MSc. project in wildlife biology, but
I'm running out of time to submit my proposal. I've found a few other tools,
but openlayers seems to have the nicest client.

Thanks,
Alan