[OpenLayers-Dev] Firefox 2.0.0.3 hangs with Vector-Layer

Florian Schenk schenk at schema2000.de
Wed Apr 11 15:40:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

I encounter massive problems using a vector-layer with Firefox 2.0.0.3. This
is how to reproduce the issue:

With http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-features.html just zoom
in and out using the mouse-wheel.

After some zooming, Firefox begins to use huge amounts of Memory (up to
400MB) and CPU-Time. As a result it freezes for some seconds to minutes.

After that, everything is normal again. If you don't use any Point-Features,
the problem doesn't seem to occur.

Is this related to OpenLayers or to Firefox? I tried it on two PCs, both
with Firefox 2.0.0.3

At the moment I'm trying to implement a web-based vehicle-tracking using
OpenLayers. This is what I plan to do:

1.	New Layer Type Vehicles
2.	Class Vehicle containing Name, Speed, Heading etc.
3.	Get Data as XML-File from Server and draw the current position and
track for each vehicle

Is that a reasonable approach for this Task?

Florian