[OpenLayers-Dev] Patches Need Tests

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Feb 18 08:42:38 EST 2007

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 07:07:56AM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Chris,
> I think that your guidelines should specify that if someone provides a
> patch, then they should also provide a patch for the tests for that
> file. It would help if there is a "Writing Unit Tests" at
> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/CodingStandards has some more detail:
> * Note the JS tool being used for testing.
> * Point to the tool's documentation explaining how to write tests
> * Probably write a short howto explaining what is expected from users.

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/CodingStandards now links to
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/WritingUnitTests , which sounds like 1
and 2 of above. I'd gladly take feedback on what 3. should be :)

> I'd expect to see writing Unit Tests added as a requirement to "Upload
> your patch" linked from http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/HowToContribute

I've put it in http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/CreatingPatches which is
linked from that page.

> Do you testing tools provide you with a code coverage report?

I think the answer to this is 'no'. I don't have any clue how you would
create such a report in the Javascript environment.