[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Trac] [OpenLayers] #753: Remove Canvas Layer from code

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jun 12 07:38:47 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:53:21AM -0000, OpenLayers wrote:
> #753: Remove Canvas Layer from code
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  crschmidt     |       Owner:
>      Type:  bug           |      Status:  new
>  The canvas layer has not worked with anything other than Google since 2.2.
>  Now that we have real vector support, toss it.

I want to get rid of this. It's just confusing. Does anyone have any
objections from a developer perspective? I really wish I hadn't checked
it in -- the code hasn't even worked for ages (since we set up the whole
'fixed' layers thing).

I'll canvas (hah!) users next to ask if anyone is using it, but given
that it doesn't work, I'm doubtful.

(I know this breaks API compatibility. However, removing a broken
feature doesn't seem likely to actually bite anyone.)

If there's strong enough pushback, I'll just punt it to 3.0.