[OpenLayers-Dev] manual acceptance tests

Erik Uzureau erik.uzureau at metacarta.com
Fri Nov 9 16:13:30 EST 2007

On 11/9/07, Tim Schaub <tschaub at openplans.org> wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Erik Uzureau wrote:
> > This sounds like a brilliant idea to me and I am heavily in favour.
>
> Cool.
>

> > It seems like just adding one directory might be a little short though
> > maybe we could do something like:
> >
> > openlayers/trunk/tests/acceptance
> > and
> > openlayers/trunk/tests/unit (for the current file-by-file tests?)
>
> I agree more structure would make things a bit nicer.  However, being
> the semantic cop, our Test.AnotherWay stuff is not really all unit
> tests.  There are plenty of acceptance tests in there.
>
> Maybe we could divide them up like this
>
> trunk/tests/automated
> trunk/tests/automated/index.html [the current run-tests.html]
>
> trunk/tests/manual
> trunk/tests/manual/index.html [list with links to test pages]
>
> Anybody opposed?  I'm happy to set this up.

Yes, it's true that our current tests are a right mish-mash of unit
and "acceptance"
 tests. I think it would be a worthwhile excercise to go through and
sort them out.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to flush out the terminology. Here is
what I currently
have in my head:

manual -> html files like the ones in examples/ directory that user
has to open and possibly click around. to verify the test passes, user
has to actually *look* at the output.

unit -> test file (right now test.anotherway) that goes through and
tests each function of a file independently. Ideally, there should be
a one-to-one matchup between functions and tests.

automatic -> any test that requires no user observation to determine
if it passes or not. Unit tests qualify under "automatic"

acceptance -> ?? What do we consider acceptance tests? at this point,
it seems to me like maybe these would be all tests which are automatic
but not unit? Maybe acceptance tests can be further divided into
"manual" and "automatic" ?

Maybe y'all can clear some of that up or voice your own definitions.

What I would really like is three categories:

1) automatic unit tests

2) automatic non-unit tests: These tests would be
testing the interactivity of the openlayers library, doing more complex
things like creating map objects and adding layers and perhaps even
panning around, doing transoformations on data sets, etc etc.

3) manual "acceptance" tests -- these are the ones that I believe
you're proposing, tim.

So 1&2 could be run automatically in a post-commit hook, and 3 could
be reserved for (as you say) release time and when you make a patch
that you think might change something but you're not sure.

Please, fire away with feedback

It would be a chore, to be sure, but I think we could do it. I might
have some time
not next week but the following.

The trick is we'd have to do it without making things more complicated for
people.