[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Trac] [OpenLayers] #966: Add attribution control to map by default

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Sep 12 09:56:48 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 01:43:22PM -0000, OpenLayers wrote:
> #966: Add attribution control to map by default
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  crschmidt  |       Owner:
>      Type:  bug        |      Status:  new
>  In order to maek the attribution control useful, it should be on by
>  default. That way, layers can simply provide 'attribution' inside them,
>  and they will automatically be displayed on the map unless someone has
>  taken deliberate steps to ensure otherwise.

Can I get a vote on this?

By default, this control will do nothing -- if no layers have
attribution on them, then nothing shows up. However, if someone adds
'attribution' to the layer options, then it will show up -- rather than
needing to add attribution *and* the control.

The benefit is that some commercial organization can now provide a .js
file on their website that is *just* a layer class - and nothing else --
and expect it to work. I personally think this is kind of cool, and
would be in favor of it.

Can I get a vote on this? All in favor of adding the Control.Attribution
to the map by default?

I'm +1.

(Demo of functionality is at
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/attribution.html , original ticket is