[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers Architect - GSoC 2008 Final Project Stats Report

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 17:24:52 EDT 2008

Erik,
I'm had a look at your application and am very impressed with how much
you have achieved in such a short period of time.

You should be proud of yourself.

I see an immediate need for such an application in a "Live CD" of the
GeoFOSS stack that can be handed out to potential new users.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Integration_Showcase

Also, there is an opportunity for someone (maybe you) to set up an
Openlayers hosting service which allows users to build their own webmap
hosted page.

And, the tool could be incorporated into Content Management Systems like
Drupal.

For your next steps. You have sufficient options for a new user. (You
possibly have too many). I suggest that your next focus should be on
usability. Make it really easy for a new user to build a map. Things
that come to mind are:

1. Create a map preview as it is being built.

2. Reduce the number of buttons that need to be pressed during the setup
workflow. Eg: Remove the save button, and continuously build the
javascript and example map as the use selects options.

3. Add user help for everything. There are lots of options that would be
unfamiliar to a new users. Maybe have tool tips, or alternatively an [i]
button which opens a new window. Answer questions like:
What is a WMS? What is the difference between a WMS and a Tiled WMS? Why
select one over the other?

4. I'd love to see a BoundingBox creation tool, an Openlayers map which
allows users to zoom into their preferred area of interest.