[OpenLayers-Dev] KML: extending the GML Format

Roald de Wit rdewit at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 7 23:08:52 EST 2008

Hi all,

Lately I've been working on getting KML styling to work in OL. Whilst
doing that I realised the following:

Geometry support in KML is nearly identical to that in GML. Why not have
KML extend GML (Format) and remove the geometry parts of KML completely?

The main things that need to be done are:
- Add support for MultiGeometry in GML
- Have KML extend the GML format
- Remove all Geometry parsing in KML
- Have a good look at how namespaces are handled in both GML and KML and
change GML.js to accomodate this (should not be too much work).

Making Format.KML extend Format.GML reduces code, maintenance and seems
more intuitive.

I've already implemented some of the above for KML read support and it
works well. Are there any objections to this approach? Is anyone willing
to help me out with implementing write support (shouln't be too hard)
and tests?

Greetings, Roald

--
Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/