[OpenLayers-Dev] Personal 2.6 Goals

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 15 00:44:12 EST 2008

I have a couple of goals for 2.6 that are personal:
 * OSM Format class
 * Vector Layer reprojection.

A distant third is the GPX format class.

The former has been in a sandbox, and I've been using it, for a while.
Mostly in demos, and I haven't done anything serious with it, but I
would like to get it to trunk-readiness.

This is important for continuing to improve the interactions OpenLayers
can have with OSM.

The latter is a more important requirement. Currently, we don't have
support for reprojection of vector layers automatically, and we should
be able to with the reprojection support. This involves doing a bit of
logic on each layer that uses a format class to do reprojection
automatically based on the setting on the layer and on the map.

We've already seen a couple of cases of needing this. It will take a bit
of doing, but probably not a ton -- I've already written the code once.

Things that I'm hoping we can get into 2.6, but which I probably can't
afford to put enough effort into on my own:

 * Tweening code (Pierre)
 * Animated Panning (Pierre)
 * Zoom/transition code (Paul)
 * Google Popups (tcolter? Maybe others?)
 * Internationalization framework (madair)
    (Translation is less important to me than having the framework in
    place.)

One thing I think it would be nice to have, if it's anywhere near
'complete' enough, is the SVG text rendering stuff... but I expect
that's still far enough off that trying  for 2.6 is silly.

So, in summary:

 Things that I will write the code for:
  #1273 (reprojection of layers), #1271 (OSM Format), Maybe #1272 (GPX)

 Things I'd like to see, and will work to review once patches are
 available:
  #110 (animated panning), #933 (transition), #926 (Google Popups),
  #109 (internationalization)

I'm hoping that the people who are currently working on these four
chunks of code can step up and say what they're currently stuck on, if
anything, and what can be helped with to get these changes into trunk.
The sooner this happens, the more likely it is to make it into 2.6.

If anyone else has a list like this for their 2.6 wishlist, please
share -- sharing ahead of time means that we can not spend so much time
going back and forth in the meeting next week.