[OpenLayers-Dev] tween, panTo, animated panning

Pierre GIRAUD bluecarto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 07:57:07 EST 2008

Hello all,

I'm still working on the animated panning feature and I think I'm
facing some new problems.

This morning I created a new ticket with an attached patch to first
get the tween thing into trunk separately. [1] I would be pleased if
Paul can have a look at this. Review of the code from other developers
is also welcome.

Now looking at the implementation of the tween class into a new panTo
method, which at first looked easy to me, I'm stuck with the setCenter
complexity issue [2].
I thought I was almost finished with the panTo method with a simple
call to setCenter with the dragging parameter. [3] It was working well
but I then noticed issues if the user drags the map while the
animation is playing. We need to be able to call stop on the animation
to cancel it. In my opinion, this needs to be done in the setCenter.
However, I can't find an easy (quick) way to tell setCenter whether to
stop the animation or not. The idea of a caller parameter would suit
this well.

I think that I know need help to implement the moveTo method initially
proposed by Chris.

Regards,

Pierre

[1] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1308