[OpenLayers-Dev] vector behavior ideas

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Sun May 4 14:17:36 EDT 2008

Hello

Below are two ideas for our vector behavior work. For those who aren't
aware of that effort, see
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Proposal/VectorBehavior.

Strategy - a Strategy object defines behavior related to commit and
update of features. In practise I think we'll have strategies that
relate to commit and others that relate to update. For example, the
current BBOX strategy relates to update. With that in mind, I think
it'd make sense to compose strategies. In this way, we could create a
strategy object that is composed of a commit strategy and add update
strategy.

Protocol - I think we need some abstraction to pass filters to
protocols' read() method. We have the Filter class hierarchy for
exactly this, don't we? The read() method could take as an argument
either an object with protocol-specific params or a Filter object. If
a filter object is passed the protocol would need to transtate that
filter object into its own filtering mechanism. E.g. the WFS protocol
would create  OGC Filter Encoding tags.

Thoughts?

--
Eric