[OpenLayers-Dev] MapFish uses vector-behavior

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:01:04 EDT 2008

Hello

Just to let you know what we've been up to with MapFish and the
OpenLayers vector behavior work.

<http://dev.mapfish.org/sandbox/camptocamp/MapFishUnhcr/client/examples/editing/editingPanel.html>

We've built a feature editing widget that works both in online and offline mode.

When online, features are read from and written to our MapFish REST
service. When offline, features are read from and written to
GoogleGears. Thanks to the protocol abstraction the feature editing
panel and the vector layer aren't aware of the specific underlying
protocol - the offline module just switches the protocol without
letting them know.

The offline module is also responsible for doing the sync, when going
offline all the features of the current extent are copied into
GoogleGears. When going back online, the features from GoogleGears are
transferred to our REST service.

Again thanks to the protocol abstraction, various protocols can be
used for the editable layers. For example, one layer of the feature
editing panel can be configured with the MapFish protocol and an other
with the WFS protocol.

We're gradually including this work in MapFish trunk.

Thanks,

PS: this page is just an example, the js isn't minified/compressed,
hence the slow loading time.
--
Eric