[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-PSC] PSC composition?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:15:21 EST 2008

Following on from a PSC discussion, ...

I think it is right to discuss company/individual composition of the PSC.

As projects like Openlayers grow, there is are changing dynamics
regarding how decisions are made, because developer composition moves
from volunteers (who are answerable to themselves) to paid employees
(who are answerable to their employers).

Initially it makes sense that PSC membership is made up of individuals.
However, as developer mix increases to include more paid employees, I
think we need to consider company representation on the PSC. I don't
think others would disagree that the PSC is stronger when it has
representation from a diverse group of developers and organisations.

So I think that when we propose someone for PSC membership we should
consider where they work, and the proportional representation of
companies on the PSC. In other PSCs, I have noticed developers from the
same company have a tendency to vote the same way. This is natural and
understandable. The developers are usually working on the same project
and have the same driving priorities and needs.

I'd also like to bring out into open discussion the question of who we
have on the committee, what are the expectations of them. Whether we
only want technical people on the committee or whether non-coders should
be included too. I'd like to question the value of my involvement. I
haven't written Openlayers code for a year or two now, but do manage
developers who use Openlayers and occasionally contribute patches. I'm
comfortable with my role, providing rants like these to the email list,
but won't be offended if people suggest it would be time for me to retire.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally