[OpenLayers-Dev] Public vector WMS

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Sun Dec 13 13:40:42 EST 2009

Ryan,

It's my understandfing that you can send in the location of an SLD and the WMS can use it to style the results for you.  The SLD can be on your server for example.

bobb

>>> Ryan Snowden <ryan at crystal-asia.com> 12/13/09 5:55 AM >>>
Hi Bobb thanks for the reply

I've read few a few things, namely the implementation SLD WMS document. What I'm interested in is using pre-defined SLD's/UserStyles installed on the WMS server already?

And to find these out I need to do a GetCapabilities and see if SLD is enabled or not?  Something like http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0?REQUEST=GetCapabilities&Service=WMS

I'm a little confused on some of the documentation though. According to this document I can send an XML file to the WFS server and it'll use it? That is, if the server allows it to which I think most of the public world WMS servers just dish out simple maps with no user styles. I think this is how cloudmade do it? They provide an interface, generate the XML data and API keys and you can use it. Cloudmade would be nice, except it doesn't show state borders at higher zoom levels which is a necessity in my case.

So what I'm lacking, apart from being a map veteran, is finding servers which support UserStyles, are stable, and have decent enough basic tiles to base the styles on. I also need something without huge logos on it like yahoo or google. I'd like to use servers which are based on OpenStreetmap, and they've made them public/stable.

Oh yeah, I found kml data of boundaries and national borders, but the vector data trumps performance so I got out of that one.

I'm finding all this mapping a learning curve, and I'm enjoying it, I just wish there was a single website that put it all into perspective :)

Cheers
-r