[OpenLayers-Dev] comment wrt latest GML update

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 01:07:19 EST 2009

Hi devs

The recent GML update Tim committed in trunk makes the GML format
reads BoundedBy into feature.geometry.bounds.

Chris and I discussed this over the IRC a while back, we came to the
conclusion that the geometry.bounds value should always be calculated
by OpenLayers, and should therefore not be set to an external,
unreliable value. This provides some guarantee to the programmer on
the value of this property.

After this discussion I wrote and committed a GeoJSON patch, where
GeoJSON "box" properties are read as feature.bounds, a new feature
property dedicated to storing BoundedBy values read from the outside
world.

What do you think? Should the GML format be changed to address that?
At least I think we need some consistenry here.

Cheers,

Eric