[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Users] Scoping Issue With Yahoo Geocoder

Sebastian Benthall seb at opengeo.org
Thu Feb 19 15:40:19 EST 2009

>  You shall not:
>
>   (ix) use the stand-alone geocoder for any use other than displaying
>   Yahoo! Maps or displaying points on Yahoo! Maps;
>
> http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/maps/mapsapi/mapsapi-2141.html

Bummer

Does the Yahoo Geocoder control ensure that the results are being
> plotted on a Yahoo! Map in some way?

Alas, it does not.

> Barring that, I'm hesitant to do
> something which seems to cleary violate the Yahoo! API terms of use,
> unless I"m misunderstanding something...

Yeah, that makes sense.  Although I'm not sure that including the code
itself in an addin would violate the TOS, since is that "using" the Yahoo!
API?  Maybe having an example there would though.

Do you think it would be sufficient to include a warning in the class that
the geocoder shouldn't be used except with a Yahoo! Map?  Then the example
could be changed to use the Yahoo! Maps base layer.

--
Sebastian Benthall
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org