[OpenLayers-Dev] Game development problem - speed with lot of objects

Abuki abuki at argo.in
Thu Jan 8 13:03:17 EST 2009

Hello,
I´m not expert on OpenLayers and also English (I´m from Czech).
I´m just trying to make my own browser-based game and I want to use
OpenLayers for world map.
Now the problem:
I want to put on the base layer some object (coordinates from mysql)
represented by png images (eg house) and I do it like this: make polygons
(circles), make features and make featureLayer (I dont want use markers,
because I would like have the clickable area not always square). Then add
control onmouseclick, so i have clickable object - thats ok. But I dont know
how to put there a lot of images, the only way I understand is to make image
layer for every single PNG image, its ok BUT: When I put in mysql 1000
objects a make this for all of them, it is slow (it takes about 10sec
what if would come something complicated...
I dont uderstand mapservers and i want to find the way to not use them,
because i will run the game on hosted site, so I cant install it there. Also
when I try only vector or images layer alone it was slow.
So could anyone help me to get it work faster? And is it possible without
mapserver?
Thanks
Abuki