[OpenLayers-Dev] API function and event for changing WMS LAYERS param?

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Tue Jul 14 06:22:50 EDT 2009

On Tuesday, July 14, 2009,  <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> this came up on the geoext list [1], and Eric and I are interested how
> other OL devs feel about this.
>
> Currently, when the LAYERS param is changed for an OpenLayers.Layer.WMS
> layer, there is no way for an external component (like the GeoExt legend
> panel), te know that something has changed and that they need to update
> themselves.
>
> So what I was proposing is an API function updateLayersParam or something
> similar, which will do the updating, and trigger a changelayer event with
> property e.g. layersparam.
>
> Thoughts/comments more than welcome, also if people see other possible
> solutions. Also on the naming ofcourse.
>
> If there is support for this, then I'll gladly create a ticket and a patch
> with tests.

Hi Bart

updateLayersParam may be too specific. And actually we already have
mergeNewParams for updating params so we could just make
mergeNewParams trigger "changelayer" with "property" set to
"mergenewparams" or something. With something like that, if one is
interested in updates for the "layers" param only, one will have to
manually check that the "layers" param has changed. That sounds
reasonable to me.

Cheers,