[OpenLayers-Dev] DeleteFeature control

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Mon Jul 20 08:24:17 EDT 2009

Hi Eric,

Eric Lemoine wrote:

> (I never used Protocol.MapFish and Strategy.Save together, I'm curious
> to know why they don't play together)

I haven't tried either, but in the past I tried the HTTP protocol +
featureserver and the Save strategy wasn't able to read the insertedId
of the response received.  I should simply try it and see what's the
status now...

> So long that the control user can be notified when a feature is
> deleted I don't see the value of having the control committing the
> changes.

Ok

> I don't understand. Can't you listen to "featuredeleted" from your
> control and trigger saveStrategy.save()? (assuming Strategy.Save work
> with Protocol.MapFish).

Yes.  I just wondered if it was better to do it internally...

> Some general comments on your control: from my understanding the
> control has two activities, (1) when a feature is selected change its
> state and redraw it, (2) when some delete key is pressed trigger
> events. Since they are *independent* activities they could be done by
> independent controls, and I think I'd disagree with wiring independent
> activities within a single control.
>
> If we had support for composite controls in the base Control class one
> could do something like what follows to implement your delete
> control's behavior:
>
> var delCtrl = new OpenLayers.Control({
>     handler: new OpenLayers.Handler.Keyboard({
>         keydown: function(evt) {
>              var delKey = ...
>              if(delKey) {
>                  saveStrategy.save();
>              }
>         }
>     }),
>     controls: [
>         new OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature(
>             layer, {
>                 onSelect: function(f) {
>                     f.state = DELETE;
>                     this.layer.drawFeature(f);
>                 }
>         })
>     ]
> });

If I understand correctly, you would disagree to have this control added
as a new OpenLayers official control because of its 2 independent
actions, so you suggest instead I should define a customized control
like above but it requires to have controls within the control to be
automatically activated/deactivated on 'this' control
activation/deactivation.  Is that it ?

> (the support for composing controls I mentioned above involves having
> the base Control class activates and deactivates every control that's
> passed in the "controls" option.)
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,

About the 'controls' property and the act./dea. automatism : that's a
good idea, but wouldn't it be good to have a 'handlers' property also
and activate/deactivate all handlers as well ?  Currently, control has a
'handler' property only.  Would it make sense to have 'handlers' added a
do the same kind of automatism as the new 'controls' property ?

Regards,

Alexandre

>>   Any hint would be appreciated,
>>
>> Alexandre
>>
>> Alexandre Dube wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   I just sent (finally) a new patch for ticket 1882 (1) (DeleteFeature
>>> control) and set the status to review.
>>>
>>> (1) http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1882
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> --